Saturday 10 May 2008

arrivederci!

Yesterday I wrote this:

I’m so emotionally moved. So happy. So sad. So drunk.
My paper has been published, all the documents have been signed. I left a huge plate of salame di cioccolato in the kitchen of my workplace and went for lunch with my research unit. The food was excellent, the restaurant was cosy. But the company was really special. I really think that now I can consider them “my workfriends”.
Last night I had a dream: I was in an archery competition as a spectator. It was a really “big” tournament, but obviously I could not participate because I did not have enough training. I clearly remember that in the dream I said: “this is like suffering of diabetes and being in a candy store”.
At lunch, my work friends have revealed that they decided to hire me for an internship because when I sent them my CV, they saw that I had being doing archery. According to them, that means “hard work, concentration, willingness to pursue your objectives”. Indeed, it has been a gym for life. But working here, in this research centre, has been the best experience I could hope for. Even the guy of the team that usually torpedoes everyone has had nice words and nice tips for me. I will miss them. When I wrote my report, I thought of all the things that I have learned in these three months and what a nice opportunity this has been for me. The only thing I could say to them when they gave me a present (a book - Books are always my favourite present, I will explain why in the next post) was: “thank you”. I wanted to say so many other things, but everything and nothing came to my mind, at the same time. In this period, they have started to know me, so I guess they know that I am shy - sometimes.
Back from lunch, I went upstairs for a coffee. The guys there made me a small party. We chatted a bit, drinking some soda mixed with some strong alcohol that they took from behind a door. I had a feeling that I did not want to go away, but I had to let them work, so I went back in my office. And there came some other work friends, some giving presents, some hugging, some others shaking hands. Even those that I would have never expected.
By the way, my salame di cioccolato was so successful…all the women in the office asked the recipe!

No comments: